Monday, July 23, 2007

a short trip through time

so here i am in the room where i grew up; years 1-18. It is like returning to the fortress of solitude, though someone came in and removed any shred of anything that was mine. Which is totally fine. Anything that i own is 64 miles north west of here in boxes in a garage. Which is all good. I'm trying to get things figured out, and i am here to help my mom deal with knee surgery and some recovery. So it all kind of works out. I have gotten a lot of work done, which isn't exactly a bad thing.

In addition to a bit of solitude and head space to get things figured out, we took a trip to santa cruz on sunday for breakfast, and then over to capitola for some coffee, and thus my trip thru time. There were people everywhere, and i realized that Warf to Warf was being run this week. I am setting a goal to try and train and run the race next year. It is a pretty easy race, and the logistics are pretty easy to put a team of people together to run the race. We'll see if i can stick to it enough to actually get out there and run. I like the idea of it. something to shoot for.

The last time i had been at mr. toots was sometime around 1990. Homework, college, notebooks with paper. Pictures are for Nootsmack...since we shared this space in time...though we never really knew it. Nothing has changed there really, at all. It was summer there, and it was comforting. I have forgotten what summer looks like at a beach where it actually gets warm.

I live at the beach, and we wear sweatshirts and pants all year long.


As i sat in starbucks today, i began to realize the difference between here and there. People out in the burbs slice one of two ways: altered or utterly destroyed. At home everyone basically looks the same. I haven't determined which i like more. I certainly don't think one is better than the other. Here has a certain entertainment factor. it is fun to see the differences in people.

Obviously people watching is a bit of a sport here.


People stare down here. Maybe they recognize i am no longer part of the hive. I have been stared at more in the last 3 days than in the last 3-5 years. it was making me uncomfortable, do i have something hanging from my nose, or did i drop latte on my shirt. Nope. All good. Just people staring. happened in capitola, happened at the gas station...just odd. People were shameless about staring.


at some point i must review the technology that enables my ability to work consistently anywhere.

The world has changed dramtically since my last trip to mr. toots.
from 2007 to 1990 and back in under 5 hours.

No comments: